AP Calculus BC
Building enduring mathematical understanding requires understanding the why and how of mathematics in addition to mastering the necessary procedures and skills. To foster this deeper level of learning, AP Calculus BC is designed to develop mathematical knowledge conceptually, guiding you to connect topics and representations throughout the course and to apply strategies and techniques to accurately solve diverse types of problems. Calculus BC includes all topics covered in Calculus AB plus additional topics, and is designed to qualify you for placement and credit in a course that is one course beyond what’s granted for Calculus AB.
By the end of the course you should be able to:
- Work with functions represented in a variety of ways: graphical, numerical, analytical, or verbal. You should understand the connections among these representations.
- Understand the meaning of the derivative in terms of a rate of change and local linear approximation and be able to use derivatives to solve a variety of problems.
- Understand the meaning of the definite integral both as a limit of Riemann sums and as the net accumulation of change and use integrals to solve a variety of problems.
- Understand the relationship between the derivative and the definite integral as expressed in both parts of the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus.
- Communicate mathematics both orally and in well-written sentences and explain solutions to problems.
- Model a written description of a physical situation with a function, a differential equation, or an integral.
- Use technology to help solve problems, experiment, interpret results, and verify conclusions.
- Determine the reasonableness of solutions, including sign, size, relative accuracy, and units of measurement.
- Develop an appreciation of calculus as a coherent body of knowledge and as a human accomplishment.
Links to More AP Pages
If you did, it can help you find the courses that are the best fit for you.
Talk to your counselor about taking the course online through an approved provider.