About the Exam
Exam Day 2017
The AP European History Exam is 3 hours and 15 minutes long and includes a multiple-choice/short-answer section and a free-response section. Each section is divided into two parts.
Section I: Part A Multiple Choice | 55 Questions | 55 minutes | 40% of Exam Score
- Questions appear in sets of 2 to 5.
- You will analyze historical texts, interpretations, and evidence.
- Primary and secondary sources, images, graphs, and maps are included.
Section I: Part B Short Answer | 4 Questions | 50 minutes | 20% of Exam Score
- Questions provide opportunities for you to demonstrate what you know best.
- Some questions include texts, images, graphs, or maps.
Section II: Part A Document Based | 1 Question | 55 minutes (includes a 15-minute reading period) | 25% of Exam Score
- Analyze and synthesize historical data.
- Assess written, quantitative, or visual materials as historical evidence.
Section II: Part B Long Essay | 1 Question | 35 minutes | 15% of Exam Score
- You will select one question among two.
- Explain and analyze significant issues in European history.
- Develop an argument supported by an analysis of historical evidence.