AP German Language and Culture
About the Exam
Exam Day 2017
The exam is approximately 3 hours long and has two sections — multiple choice and free-response.
Section I: Multiple Choice | 65 questions | ~1 hour and 35 minutes | 50% of final Exam Score
- Part A: 30 questions | ~40 minutes
- This section consists of a variety of authentic print materials (e.g., journalistic and literary texts, announcements, advertisements, letters, charts, maps, and tables). You will respond to questions that ask for main ideas and supporting details, questions about the meaning of vocabulary words in context, and questions about the author’s point of view or the target audience. Some questions will require you to show understanding of cultural or interdisciplinary information contained in the text.
- Part B: 35 questions | ~55 minutes
- This section consists of a variety of authentic audio materials, including interviews, podcasts, public service announcements, conversations, and brief presentations. This section is divided into two subsections. The first subsection includes audio texts that are paired with print materials; the second consists solely of audio texts. You will respond to questions about main ideas and supporting details. Some questions will require you to show understanding of cultural or interdisciplinary information.
- You will have time to read a preview of each selection and skim the questions before listening to the audio. All audio texts will be played twice.
- You are encouraged to take notes during this part of the exam and are given writing space for that purpose. Your notes will not be graded.
Section II: Free-response | 4 tasks | ~1 hour and 28 minutes | 50% of final Exam Score
- Part A: Written Tasks | ~70 minutes
- Interpersonal Writing: Read and reply to an email message (15 minutes)
- Presentational Writing: Write a persuasive essay based on three sources, including an article, a table or graphic, and a related audio source (played twice), that present different viewpoints on a topic (~55 minutes total: 15 minutes to review materials plus 40 minutes to write). You will have access to the print sources and any notes you may take on the audio during the entire 40-minute writing period.
- Part B: Spoken Responses | ~18 minutes
- Interpersonal Speaking: Participate in 5 exchanges in a simulated conversation (20 seconds for each response). For this conversation, you will be provided with a preview of the conversation, including an outline of each exchange.
- Presentational Speaking: Deliver a 2 minute presentation in response to a prompt on a cultural topic comparing cultural features of your own community to those of an area of the German-speaking world.