AP German Language and Culture
About the Exam
Exam Day 2015
The exam is approximately 3 hours long and has two parts — multiple choice and free response. Each section of the exam is worth 50% of the final exam grade.
Section I: Multiple Choice — 65 questions; ~1 hour and 35 minutes
The multiple choice questions ask you to identify main ideas, significant details, purpose, and intended audience of a variety of texts and to make inferences and predictions based on them. Some questions require you to show understanding of cultural or interdisciplinary information contained in the text.
- Part A: 30 questions; ~40 minutes
- Questions on variety of authentic print materials (e.g., journalistic and literary texts, announcements, advertisements, letters, maps, and tables).
- Part B: 35 questions; ~55 minutes; 2 sections
- Questions on a variety of authentic audio materials, including interviews, podcasts, public service announcements, conversations, and brief presentations.
- Section 1 includes audio texts that are paired with print materials
- Section 2 the second consists solely of audio texts.
You will have time to read the preview and skim the questions before listening to the audio. All audio texts will be played twice.
Total scores on the multiple-choice section are based on the number of questions answered correctly. Points are not deducted for incorrect answers and no points are awarded for unanswered questions.
Section II: Free Response — 4 tasks; ~1 hour and 25 minutes
- Part A — Writing:
- Read and reply to an email message (15 minutes)
- Write a persuasive essay based on three sources, including an article, a table or graphic, and a related audio, that present different viewpoints on a topic (~55 minutes total: 15 minutes to review materials plus 40 minutes to write)
You will have access to the print sources and any notes you may take on the audio during the entire 40-minute writing period.
- Part B — Speaking:
- Participate in 5 exchanges as part of a simulated conversation (20 seconds for each response.) You will be provided with a preview of the conversation, including an outline of each exchange.
- Deliver a 2 minute presentation in response to a prompt on a cultural topic comparing cultural features of your own community to those of an area of the German-speaking world.