AP Italian Language and Culture
About the Exam
Exam Day 2016
The exam is approximately 3 hours long and has two parts — multiple choice and free response. Each section of the exam is worth 50% of the final exam grade.
Section I: Multiple Choice — 70 questions; ~1 hour and 20 minutes
The multiple choice questions ask you to identify the main ideas, significant details, purpose, and intended audience of a variety of audio and written texts and to make inferences and predictions based on them.
- Part A: 30–34 questions; ~25 minutes
- Questions relating to a variety of audio sources, including authentic materials, such as: conversations, announcements, instructions, advertisements, and news reports. All audio sources in this section are played once.
- Part B: 36–40 questions; ~55 minutes
- Questions relating to a variety of authentic print materials including journalistic and literary texts, announcements, advertisements, tables, and charts.
Total scores on the multiple-choice section are based on the number of questions answered correctly. Points are not deducted for incorrect answers and no points are awarded for unanswered questions.
Section II: Free Response — 4 tasks; ~1 hour and 25 minutes
- Part A — Writing:
- Read and reply to an email message (15 minutes)
- Write a persuasive essay based on three sources, including an article, a table or graphic, and a related audio source (played twice), that present different viewpoints on a topic (~55 minutes total: 15 minutes to review materials plus 40 minutes to write)
You will have access to the print sources and any notes you may take on the audio during the entire 40-minute writing period.
- Part B — Speaking:
- Participate in 5 exchanges in a simulated conversation (20 seconds for each response). For this conversation, you will be provided with a preview of the conversation, including an outline of each exchange.
- Deliver a 2 minute presentation in response to a prompt on a cultural topic comparing cultural features of your own community to those of an area of the Italian-speaking world.