About the Exam
Exam Day 2017
The exam is 2 hours long and has two sections — multiple choice and free-response.
Section I: Multiple Choice | 100 Questions | 1 hour and 10 minutes | 66.6% of Exam Score
You’ll be asked to:
- Define and explain content from a range of course topics
- Apply skills of comparison and interpretation to course concepts, theories, and scientific methods
Section II: Free-Response | 2 Questions | 50 minutes | 33.3% of Exam Score
Typical questions may include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Analyze a unique scenario using concepts from different theoretical frameworks or subdomains in the field
- Design, analyze, or critique a research study
The following task verbs are commonly used in the AP Psychology free-response questions:
- Identify requires that you name or point out psychological concepts as they pertain to the question.
- Show or describe requires you to detail the essential characteristics and/or examples of a particular concept, theory, or phenomenon.
- Explain, discuss, and relate require that you make logical and coherent connections among the prompt (or premise), question, and psychological concepts.