AP World History
About the Exam
Exam Day 2016
The exam is three hours and 15 minutes long and includes both a 1 hour and 45 minute multiple-choice/short-answer section and a 1 hour and 30 minute free-response section. Each section has two parts.
Section I — Part A: Multiple Choice — 55 questions; 55 minutes
The portion of questions covering each topic and time period is:
- Technological and Environmental Transformations to c. 600 BCE (5%)
- Organization and Reorganization of Human Societies c. 600 BCE to c. 600 CE (15%)
- Regional and Interregional Interactions c. 600 CE to c. 1450 (20%)
- Global Interactions c. 1450 to c. 1750 (20%)
- Industrialization and Global Integration c. 1750 to c. 1900 (20%)
- Accelerating Global Change and Realignments c. 1900 to Present (20%)
Total scores on the multiple-choice section are based on the number of questions answered correctly. Points are not deducted for incorrect answers and no points are awarded for unanswered questions.
Section I — Part B: Short-Answer Questions — 4 questions; 50 minutes
Section II — Part A: Document-based Question — 1 question; 55 minutes (includes a reading period with a suggested time of 15 minutes)
Section II — Part B: Long Essay Question — 1 question (chosen from a pair); 35 minutes