Now that you’ve decided to take an AP course, find out how to register for the exam.

If your school offers AP courses, contact your AP coordinator to register. They will order the exams, collect fees, and let you know when and where to show up. 

Exam Taking Guidelines

You can take as many AP Exams as you want; in fact, with the exception of AP Capstone, the AP Program doesn’t require you to take an AP course before taking an AP Exam.

However, there are some rules you need to know before signing up for exams:

  • Calculus exams: You may not take both Calculus AB and Calculus BC within the same year.
  • Exam conflicts: If two of the exams you want to take are scheduled for the same time, ask your AP coordinator for information about taking one of the exams during the late-testing period.
  • Studio Art portfolio exams: You may submit more than one Studio Art portfolio exam, but each must be a different type of portfolio. You may not duplicate works or images among the portfolios and portfolios may not be combined. For example, if you want to submit a portfolio for both Drawing and 2-D Design, you will need to submit two separate portfolios with two completely different sets of artwork, and pay two separate fees.
  • Repeating exams: You may repeat an exam in a subsequent year. If you do, both scores will be reported unless you request that one be withheld or canceled.

What if I’m Home-Schooled or at a School That Doesn’t Offer AP?

You may be able to take AP Exams by arranging to test at a participating school. Here’s how:

  • No later than March 1: Contact AP Services to get the names and telephone numbers of local, participating AP coordinators willing to test outside students. Prepare a list of the AP Exams you are interested in taking before you call.
  • No later than March 15: Call the AP coordinators identified by AP Services.

When calling coordinators to arrange testing, remember to tell them:

  • You are trying to locate a school willing to administer exams to home-schooled students or students from schools that do not offer AP Exams.
  • Which exams you plan to take.
  • If you have a documented disability that will require testing accommodations at the exam, and if you have been approved by the College Board to test with accommodations.

Once you locate an agreeable school, that school's AP coordinator is responsible for ordering your exam materials, telling you when and where to report for the exams, and collecting your fees, which may be higher to cover the school’s additional proctoring or administration costs. That school must administer the exams for you; the school cannot forward them to you or your school for handling.

On exam day:

  • You must bring a valid government- or school-issued photo ID with you to the exam.
  • If you have approval from the College Board to test with accommodations, you must also bring your Student Accommodation Letter.
  • If you attend a school that doesn’t offer AP, you should not use the school code for the school where you are testing. Instead, make sure to use your own school’s code so your exam score(s) will be reported to your school. This means you need to get your school’s six-digit code from your principal or school counselor before exam day.
  • If you are home-schooled, use the state or international home-school/self-study code that will be given to you on the day of the exam.

International Students

If you are registering for AP Exams in India without access to AP courses in your school, visit AP in India. For students in China, please visit AP in China.